Watch Our Video!
Learn more about background screening and the answers to six of the most common questions regarding background checks.
Through your relationship with Canopy, you have access to background screening services provided by TopDogHR.
Questions? Contact Us
Questions? Contact Us
Background Screening Pricing Packages
Additional Costs/Applicable Fees:
**Some courts charge a mandatory fee to access court records. Some researchers charge a researcher fee to obtain court records. The DMV charges mandatory state access fees to access driving records. In addition, most employers subscribe to 3rd party sources that house employment records and educational records. These are treated as pass-through fees and are an additional fee to your basic screening package pricing. In addition, any county searched to verify criminal record information derived from a database search plus any applicable court fees. There is an additional cost of $10.00 per search type to screen for maiden names and alias names. Please review the schedule of the court fees and DMV fees on our website: www.topdoghr.com under the resources tab. Onsite Inspection Fee of $50 for all accounts needing credit reports.
National Criminal Database Search
(National Scan of Contributing Courts Only) – (This Product DOES NOT search every court in the United States)
This is a database composed of criminal records purchased from private data sources and other criminal record sources. Although it is often sold as a “nationwide” search, it is not. This search is only useful for identifying potential cases related to the applicant. THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT SEARCH EVERY COURT IN THE UNITED STATES. If records are found with this database, we will verify the case at the county level to confirm the details of the records, as required by the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The additional cost to do this is $10.00 per county, per name, plus any applicable court fees.
Social Security Validation & Address Trace Search
This report is the foundation of criminal history research as it is used as a indicator to select court jurisdictions that should be researched for criminal records.
- Reveals all alias names associated with that SSN
- Reveals all addresses associated with that SSN
- Authenticates that the SSN is associated with the applicant
- Reveals the date the SSN was issued
- Reveals the State of issuance
National Sex Offender Search
The Multi-State Sex Offender Registry Database search provides sex offender case information in an easy–to–read report. Our extensive search capabilities check registered sex offender data sources nationwide, such as: Bureaus of Investigation, Departments of Law Enforcement, Departments of Corrections, Departments of Justice, Departments of Public Safety, Sheriff’s Departments, State Attorney General’s Offices, and State Police. This database is compiled from violent and sex offender registries in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
OFAC Global Homeland Security Search
The Global Homeland Security Check is an instant, inexpensive tool that mitigates foreseeable risk to your customers, employees and physical assets. It cross references your applicant’s name against over 130 worldwide known terrorist and fugitive databases that include individuals, organizations and companies considered to be a threat to global and national security. Our database is updated daily as the various lists are modified. This service is a valuable tool to ensure compliance with the USA Patriot Act. The following data sources are searched:
- Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) List of Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) and Blocked Persons
- Politically Exposed Persons List
- FBI Most Wanted Terrorists List
- FBI Top Ten Most Wanted List
- U.S. Secret Service Most Wanted Fugitives
- United Nations Consolidated Sanctions List
- European Union Terrorist List
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police Most Wanted
- Australia Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade List
- Russian Federal Fugitives
- Scotland Yard’s Most Wanted
- World’s Most Wanted Fugitives
According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the following industries are considered to be those most targeted by terrorists. This search is a must for those in these industries:
- Agriculture and Food
- Public Health and Healthcare
- Emergency Services
- Defense Industrial Base
- Information Technology
- Transportation Systems
- Banking and Finance
- Postal and Shipping
- National Monuments and Icons
- Nuclear Reactors, Materials and Waste
- Government Facilities
Statewide Criminal Record Search
Currently, there is direct access to state repositories in 43 states. Statewide databases cast a wider net on determining if your candidate has a criminal record, but users are encouraged to use this search as a complement to a 7 year county search. For state’s that do not allow for direct access, users should consider a County Criminal Search only.
County Criminal Record Search*
County Criminal Records Searches are available in each county throughout the United States and are conducted in superior courts, upper courts, lower courts, and/or municipal court records as publicly available. These searches are used to determine if an applicant/employee has a felony, misdemeanor and in some instances, an infraction filing within the last seven years or longer if the record includes a legally reportable conviction. Completed reports consist of only legally reportable information; typically including:
- date of arrest
- date of filing
- level of charges
- disposition date
- final disposition of charges
- any applicable sentence or penalty
Federal Criminal Record Search
Federal Criminal Court Searches identify criminal activity prosecuted through the federal court system. Criminal activity tried in Federal District Courts typically involves violations of the Constitution or other federal law. Such crimes include:
- tax evasion
- mail fraud and other federal statute violations
- Securities fraud
There are 94 federal judicial districts throughout the country, including at least one district in each state, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Three territories of the United States — the Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands — have district courts that hear federal cases. Federal criminal convictions do not appear in state or county felony and misdemeanor court record searches, therefore a federal district search is imperative if such records are needed. Each state is comprised of federal districts.
Driver License History*
Reviewing an applicant’s Motor Vehicle Record is an important search for those required to operate a company or personal vehicle for business purposes. Records highlight driving history over the past 3-7 years and are available in all 50 states and Washington DC. Reports include all personal identifiers as well as offenses and citations. Commercial Driving Records allow employers and their agents to comply with FMCSA requirements by searching within the “Commercial Driver’s License Information System” for any prior licenses, current CDL and up to three prior licenses held by the individual.
- Standard Motor Vehicle Record
- Commercial Driver’s License Information Systems (CDLIS)
- National Drivers Registry (NDR)
- Department of Transportation (DOT) Drivers Records
Federal Civil Record Search
This check is used to determine any civil actions filed against the subject. Civil records are obtained from the county courthouses by our network of professional court researchers. Records include the following information:
- date of filing
- suit description
- disposition date
- entire disposition
- Identifier’s used to locate the case
Credit Report with FICO Score
Credit Reports are not available to Private Landlords Or Consumers. You must be a Legal Domestic Company with a permissible purpose of Employment Screening or Tenant Screening
- Derogatory credit information
- Positive credit information
- Public filings (bankruptcies, liens and judgments)
- Account standing with creditors and previous address history
- Account payment history
- Financial summary of total debt
- FICO Score
An Education Verification confirms the following information:
- school(s) attended
- diplomas received
- degrees & certificates awarded
- dates of attendance
- names used when attending
- additional information as available
Some candidates may be less than truthful about their employment history. Internal research shows this to be the number one discrepancy on resumes and job applications. Our background specialists verify the information on your applicant’s resume.
- Dates of employment
- Starting Positions
- Current Position
- Current Salaries
- Reason for termination
- Eligibility for re-hire
Substance Abuse Screening
We offer urine, oral fluid, and hair employee drug testing programs to meet all of your drug testing needs. Whether for pre-employment, random testing, reasonable suspicion, post accident, return to duty, follow-up, or DOT, we has the right employee drug testing program for you.
A well thought out employee drug testing policy is an important component of employee screening and can save you several thousand dollars each year. We have over 8,000 collection sites, which gives us the ability to zip code match your company location(s) with the closest collection sites available. We only use SAMSHA/NIDA certified and DOT-compliant laboratories. When results are completed – typically 24 hours for negative results and 48 hours for positive results or when reviewed by a Medical Review Officer – our system sends you an email advising that the report is available via our secure web site. After logging into your account, you may view, print, and securely archive the drug testing report for access at any time. For clients using our fax service, results may be faxed or communicated over an 800 line.
The Hair Follicle Drug Testing provides a drug history over a 90-day period and may be collected on-site or by various collection sites. We administers random drug testing services for clients. We also offer easy to use on-site drug and alcohol testing products for results in less than 5 minutes. Utilizing our network enables employers with nationwide programs to:
- Schedule events from our Paperless Electronic Chain of Custody Solution
- Receive results via email and through electronic web reporting
- View and select collection site locations online
- Test for various reasons including Pre-Employment, Random and Post-Accident situations
- Consolidate the testing program: DOT and Non-DOT lab-based testing available at ALL collection network sites (*Out-of-network Patient Service Centers located throughout the country as well)
- Establishing quality standards
- All positive results are reviewed by a Board Certified Medical Review Officer (MRO)
- All DOT samples are handled in compliance with DOT regulations and guidelines
- Documented chain of custody forms are provided for all samples
- Each specimen is reviewed for signs of tampering and adulteration
Off-Site Urine Drug Testing
Program One is a urine drug screen that can test for 5, 9, or 10 panels (drugs). Regardless of the number of drugs you want tested, the price remains the same. Included in the test is collection using our patient service centers, legal confirmation at our certified labs, and chain of custody forms. An adulterants check, which tests for substances people ingest to mask the presence of drugs in their system, is also included at no additional charge. Program One (5-panel) can be used for Department of Transportation testing with the addition of our MRO Service on all of your results.
- 5 Panel Drug Test: Amphetamines, Cannabinoids (Marijuana), Cocaine, Phencyclidine (PCP), Opiates
- 10 Panel Drug Test: Amphetamines, Cannabinoids (Marijuana), Cocaine, Phencyclidine (PCP), Opiates, Methaqualone, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Methadone, Propoxphene.